What is Carbon monoxide?
Worryingly, around 60 people are accidentally killed by carbon monoxide each year. In the short-term it can cause dizziness, sickness, tiredness and stomach pain, while prolonged exposure can lead to loss of consciousness and have a significant impact on your mental state, coordination and heart health.
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is produced when fuel doesn’t burn properly - usually from badly-fitted or poorly maintained appliances. Though carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas, it has no smell or taste, so it's not obvious when someone has been exposed to it. Just breathing it in can make you very unwell and it can kill if you’re exposed to high levels.
It’s particularly dangerous as symptoms can often be mistaken for a very bad cold, the flu, or even a bad hangover, so it can be easily missed. The very young and elderly are most vulnerable.
Boiler Plan, specialists in the installation, service and repair of boilers, have put together four simple yet essential tips to help prevent the public from falling victim to carbon monoxide poisoning.
The best thing you can is put steps in place to reduce the likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning. However, if you suspect you or someone else is suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning they need to asses how they feel. The symptoms can often feel like fly but it does NOT cause a high temperature. If you suspect a leak and feel unwell, seek medical help immediately.
Ian Henderson, Founder and Managing Director of Boiler Plan, said: “It’s extremely worrying to read the news that carbon monoxide poisonings have increased by 32% since 2014. We recommend purchasing and installing a carbon monoxide alarm as they can save lives and they are so affordable.
We’d also highly recommend getting your boiler and gas appliances serviced annually by a gas safe registered engineer – this is a required qualification by law for anyone who works with gas. Listen to professionals, get protected and stay safe.”