Carbon Monoxide Awareness

Carbon Monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell, which makes it very dangerous.

So, don’t expect to smell something like you would with a normal gas leak.
Every year in the UK, 200 people are taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning, leading to around 40 deaths, which shows how deadly breathing in carbon monoxide can be.

How is it produced?

Carbon Monoxide is produced when such things as gas, oil, coal or wood do not fully burn.
If cookers, heater and central heating boilers are incorrectly installed, then carbon monoxide can be produced.

The Symptoms

With carbon monoxide being so deadly, it’s worth always double-checking that there is no leak.

The 6 main symptoms to look out for ( source gas safe register )

student page image

 
Other Symptoms:

  • Other people within your home or workplace having flu like symptoms
  • The symptoms fluctuate, if you have a weekend away you should feel better been away form the leak.
  • You should see your symptoms get worse if the central heating is turned up.
  • Pets are also a good sign, if they too are un well it could be a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • A good symptom to look out for is having flu like symptoms but not actually having a high temperature.

 

What to do if you suspect a leak

  • Turn off all heating appliances that use fuel other than electricity
  • Open the windows, but be careful with going to sleep with all the windows fully opened!
  • Try and move away from the boiler or any other fuel appliances if you cant turn them off
  • Visit your doctors or hospital if you are feeling un well.
  • Contact a local gas safe registered engineer in your area, http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/
  • Purchase a Carbon Monoxide Detector, they are very cheap and could save your life! http://www.diy.com/departments/first-alert-wireless-led-display-carbon-monoxide-detector/202283_BQ.prd

 

Have your say